The Smart Meter SafeGuard was specially designed to completely cover smart (networked) meters, including the “butterfly-type” meter ring, common in Quebec. If your smart meter has a meter ring like the one in this photo, you do not need to purchase anything other than the Smart Meter SafeGuard.
If your meter is installed using ANOTHER TYPE of meter ring, you must purchase the appropriate adapter.
In the box:
- 1 Smart Meter SafeGuard (2nd generation), 100% Stainless Steel
- 2 Stainless Steel Grounding Screws
- Heavy Duty Adhesive Aluminized Tape
- Detailed Installation Instructions
|Level of attenuation achieved with the Smart Meter SafeGuard|
|8,000 to 40,000 µW/m2
(depending on meter)
|Radiation emitted with each pulse (measured at 1 metre)|
|20 to 60 seconds||Time interval between each pulse (measured)|
|50 or better||Attenuation factor achieved with the Smart Meter SafeGuard (measured)|
|Attenuation with the Smart Meter SafeGuard at 1GHz (from calculations)
Attenuation with the Smart Meter SafeGuard at 2.5GHz (from calculations)
If your smart meter generally emits 9,000 μW/m2 (1 metre from the meter) with each pulse, the Smart Meter SafeGuard will give you about 180 μW/m2 (1 m from the meter).
In other words, the Smart Meter SafeGuard blocks 98% (or more) of the radiation emitted.
Since radiation is reduced* as you get farther from the source (the meter):
- WITHOUT Smart Meter SafeGuard, you have to be 30 metres away for the level of exposure to be below 10 μW/m2 (as recommended by the Institute of Building Biology.**)
- WITH Smart Meter SafeGuard, the distance required to reduce the level of radiation exposure to the level recommended by the Institute of Building Biology is only 3 metres.
* Please see the “Radiation Intensity as a Function of Distance” charts «Intensité de la radiation en fonction de la distance».